FAQ Wig Care
How do you care for your new wigs, head covers and hats with hair? Here are some simple wig care instructions and tips to keep all of your wigs looking great.
• Gently hand wash while soaking in cold water with a dash of wig shampoo.
• Thoroughly rinse the wig in clean cold water to remove shampoo.
• Do not brush the wig while fiber is wet. For short styles, allow the wig to air dry on a wig stand or lay flat on a towel. For medium to longer wigs and curly styles, lay the wig flat on a towel to air dry.
• Once the wig is completely dry, the styling should return with a gentle shake of the wig.
Can a hair dryer be used on wigs?
For most styles, curling irons and blow dryers should never be used as they may damage the synthetic fiber. Unless the wig or hairpiece is specifically labeled as being made with “Heat Resistant Fiber”, hot styling tools should not be used.
Are there any special tips to help maintain the life of wigs, hairpieces, head covers and hats with hair?
Wig care products for use with synthetic fiber and regular cleaning of your new wig, will help to maintain the life and beauty of any wig or hairpiece and will aid in keeping its original condition. A wig is like a delicate garment and with the proper care it will look beautiful for months down the road.
Other tips to keep our wigs and hairpieces looking beautiful are:
• Make sure wigs are stored properly when not worn. The Wig Lady recommends using a wig stand when not in use. Long styles can be hung or laid flat on a surface. Never fold the wig or hairpiece and put in a box or plastic bag (except while traveling).
• Be careful wearing a wig or hairpiece around areas of extreme heat such as a hot oven, fireplace or barbecue. While the fiber is not flammable and does not pose a threat, extreme heat can damage the fiber making it frizz.
• For longer styles, it is best to lay the wig on a flat surface and brush from the bottom up. This will help to protect the fiber and will keep it from pulling out of the cap.
Can the wig style be changed?
The wigs we offer are designed with a style that is set into the fiber, but styling variations are limitless. Wigs are best styled by using a wire brush designed for wigs, a wire pick, or finger styling. Added height can be achieved by gently lifting with the brush. Added fullness can be accomplished as well with teasing. To return the wig to its basic style, simply brush thoroughly, clean and allow to air dry.